Monday, June 24, 2013

Brian Urlacher Ready to Pull a Brett Favre?

Admit it sports fans. In the back of your minds your wondering and just a little bit curious is former Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher is going to come back. After all, he's just 35--old by NFL standards but not  necessarily over the hill.

When he announced his retirement it kinda sounded like he thought he could still play, but just wasn't getting any offers that made it worth it. As soon as injuries start to pile up I am sure a lot of teams will love to hve a veteran of his caliber join the team.

So it could happen, right?

Mike Morbeck/Flickr
According to the man himself via the Chicago Tribune--not a chance.
“No...I just want to retire. He [his agent] went through every scenario, what if so-and-so calls? What if they offer me $10 million? I don’t want to play. I don’t have a desire to play...I’m sure I’ll miss it when it’s time to put the pads on and stuff. But I won’t miss how my body feels when I’m done.’’
Sounds pretty definitive to me. Of course his mind could change in the next few weeks, but if he's not in shape--which he freely admits to--then it doesn't really matter.

When our favorites retire fans often wonder if they will still be able to see them, just on the sideline as a coach instead (like Favre has). Urlacher doesn't even have any interest in that.
“I don’t think I would be a good coach. First of all, I don’t want to spend the time coaching. I feel bad for them. During the season, they work 90 hours a week. I don’t want to do that.’’
When you've played as hard as he has for so long and made good money you might as well stop and smell the roses I suppose. It doesn't mean the rest of us will not wonder if it really is the end of the end of the line for one of the game's greats.


No comments:

Post a Comment