Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fat Five Report: What to Watch and Not Watch for Week 2 of College Football

Ah, yes. The grass is green, the sky is blue, and ole Knute Rockne is out there folks. College football is in the air! Don't you just love it? I know I do; well, most of it at least. There are so many games on every weekend, and with so many channels showing games there are simply too many options.

I could make use of the space on my DVR, but there is only so much time in the day. As much as I might like/want to watch football all day and every day I just can't.



So what should I watch?

I am sure that I am not the only person facing this quandary so each week I will compile what I like to call the Fat Five Report--a list of five can't miss games and five others that are so bad the thought of watching them makes me want to go on a diet.

Can't miss:

- No. 12 Florida @ Miami (FL), noon, Saturday

The Gators are good, but I think they are overrated. Al Golden has been doing a bang-up job in Miami and has those guys primed to compete. When it comes to playing an in-state rival teams typically pick it up a notch as well so fire up the grill and enjoy this one to start your day.

- No. 6 South Carolina @ No. 11 Georgia, 4:30 pm ET, Saturday

Do I need to say much about this one? Fans are lucky to have a game of this caliber this early in the season. The Gamecocks looked great on both sides of the ball against UNC last week. After losing a close one to Clemson last week the Bulldogs are going to do whatever it takes not to start the season 0-2.

- No. 14 Notre Dame @ No. 17 Michigan, 8 pm ET, Saturday

I don't really care about the rivalry aspect of this one. Both teams have talented quarterbacks that are going to look to take charge of the game early. I'm leaning towards ND here because I think Tommy Rees wants to prove that last week's 300+ yard performance was not a fluke, but Devon Gardner is a game-changing kind of talent. This sucker is going to be close.

- West Virginia @ No. 16 Oklahoma, 7 pm ET, Saturday

Both teams are in flux and could use a win--especially a conference win--to keep the fan bases happy. WVU struggled with a FCS team last week; Oklahoma's new QB was a little shaky at first but had an okay day in the end. Should WVU lean on the run (which they can with the stable of backs they have) and control the ball they can keep Oklahoma's new QB from getting into a rhythm.

- No. 15 Texas @ BYU, 7 pm ET, Saturday

Mack Brown has talked the talk, but it remains to be seen if his team can walk it. His Longhorns struggled for most  of the first half against a pitiful opponent last week before a ton of big plays turned the game into a blow out. BYU is going to be a lot tougher so they will not have the time to work their way into the game. But if they are as talented as people think they shouldn't need it.

Miss:

These five games make me want to go on a diet they are so bad. These are the games that have ridiculous point spreads; the kind of spread that tells you this game is going to lack any sense of competition because the two teams are in a different class. If the favored team does not cover the spread it should be embarrassed.

I see no entertainment value in these game unless you are a fan of the favored team. Even than it is still minimal because by time the second half rolls around it is going to look so easy the game will be boring as heck.

LSU (-35) vs. Alabama Birmingham

Southern Miss vs. No. 19 Nebraska (-28)

San Diego State vs. No. 2 Ohio State (-27.5)

Sam Houston State vs. No. 7 Texas A&M (-37)

South Carolina State vs. No. 5 Clemson (-52.5)

No comments:

Post a Comment