Friday, April 10, 2015

So What Does Texas Longhorns Coach Charlie Strong Actually Know?

Charlie Strong seems like a likable guy; the kind of guy you want to play football and you want to coach under if you are a position coach. However, after reviewing his testimony in a deposition for the case between one of his coach, Joe Wickline, and his former team Oklahoma State there is an nderlying theme that has to be a little troubling to Longhorns fans.

He doesn't know anything.

via Twitter
The questions were not hard and as a division I head football coach he should be able to keep his cool and his head. Instead, he either loses his head or he just doesn't know the answer. Either way--not good for Texas fans.

Strong didn't have a clue who his quarterback was, and if there is one player a head coach on a offensively challenged team should know it is his quarterback.
Q. Who are your current quarterback on your -- on your team right now? A. Swoops. 
Q. What's his -- what's his first name? A. He goes by Swoops. Jarrod Heard. What's my man's first name? I -- done went blank on me. 
The zip code is a small thing. Maybe he never opens his own mail. I don't know. Just seems like a pretty simple detail to forget.
Q. And what's the zip code? A.You got me. 
Q. Do you know the zip code? A. No, I don't.
In reference to the Arkansas game:
Q. So did Joe call most of the plays on that day? A. I don't remember. It was an awful day. It's -- I don't want to remember that game we were so bad. 
When he objects to being flattered it seems more like he thought his credentials were being questioned:
Q. Well, you would agree with me, wouldn't you, that the University of Texas is probably regarded as a top-ten collegiate coaching destination, wouldn't you? A. I mean, but -- what -- I feel like I'm qualified to be -- I mean, that's why I say I'm not flattered. 
This is just funny. Elite of the elitest?
Q. This is -- this -- the University of Texas, by most people's observations, would be a -- one of the elite coaching job opportunities in collegiate athletics, would you agree? A. It is the elite of the elitest.
As a player you want to think that your head coach at least knows what your name is. It doesn't matter if you are the starting quarterback or the scout team offensive lineman. Coach should know your name. It doesn't matter how many guys are on a team either, There is a reason why every season starts with guys having tape on their helmets with their name on it.

Strong comes off silly in his deposition. He doesn't know his QB, he doesn't know who calls plays, he can't take a compliment, and he didn't know that a member of his staff had a big buyout clause. That seems like something you would find out before hiring or know that there could be one from your own assistant coaching days.

[GBH, Austin American Statesmen]

Share on Fancred

No comments:

Post a Comment