Saturday, March 29, 2014

PHOTO: Lone Arizona Student Standing Against Advancing Police Line is--You Just Have to See It

Let me start by saying that I think that one of the dumbest things that people tend to do these days is riot after their sports team wins or loses. Personally I've always found it much nicer to celebrate a win at the bar where I watched the game or drown my sorrows there if my team lost.

That being said when I saw this picture of a lone Arizona student standing in front of a line of police in riot gear it made me pause.

@KellyPresnell/Twitter

Rioting fans can cause a crazy amount of damage so I get the desire for the local police to want to put a stop to things before things got out of hand. From early reports online it sounds like they used bean bags and pepper balls (although it was originally believed that they used tear gas).

The more I read the more it sounded like fans needed to be dealt with. When you shoot fireworks at the police and throw bottles and other crap at them what do you think is going to happen?

So the cops had every right to do what they needed to in order to get the crowd to disperse. It sounds like they did their best to use the safest measures possible.

I just can't shake the thought that a scene like the one depicted in the picture doesn't make us (folks in the U.S.) look very good; kind of screams of totalitarianism and oppression.

And this is all a direct result of a sporting event.


Share on Fancred

No comments:

Post a Comment