Friday, October 10, 2014

Case Against Todd Gurley Sounds An Awful Lot Like the One Against Johnny Manziel (it's crap)

The Heisman trophy race and the college football landscape in general was thrown in to disarray Thursday when the Georgia Bulldogs suspended superstar running back Todd Gurley for what the university said was a violation of NCAA rules. The Twitter-verse was quick to say that it was because he supposedly took money for signing autographs.

Here's the kicker--there is no proof. Just an email from an idiot broker that doesn't care that he's messing with a kid's life or the fate of a football team's season.



Several media outlets including SBNation have reported on an email from the accuser alleging Gurley's inappropriate behavior. What he says in a nutshell is pretty much what the broker's said about Johnny Manziel during his scandal last season--he did it, but I have no proof:
I have video of Todd Gurley doing a private autograph signing ***. He has been paid thousands of dollars for his stuff over the last 18 months. I personally paid him for this signing on the video. I have bought and sold game used equipment from him.
I want no compensation. Just want someone to leak this story that's deserving. If you have any interest, give me a call or email. I attached a photo of him in my car signing a mini helmet that I just sold last week on my eBay store.
All I ask is some privacy until we can touch base.
I live on Georgia and would crucified if my name was released.
The video is about 5 minutes long but doesn't show the money exchange.
My cell is **********
I believe this would be the lead story on sports center if ESPN got their hands on this.
Hope to hear from you soon.

SBNation went on to say that the so-called proof that was provided was not proof at all, You couldn't even tell who the person was that was signing stuff. So they did the right thing and turned the story down.

Apparently someone decided to run with it even though all they was an accusation--just like with Johnny Manziel last summer.

The sad thing is the person that leaked this is going to make a ton of money selling whatever it is he has with Gurley's name on much like the guy that tried to sell out Manziel. In a post from Thursday night Larry Brown Sports dug up an old Reddit AMA from a memorabilia broker:
Q. Would you ever be an unnamed source for a media conglomerate?
A. Probably not. I know the guy that leaked the Manziel stuff. It wasn’t hard for the other dealers to figure it out. None will have anything to do with him. The player I did last week won’t return his texts anymore either. It was a mistake in the long run but it made him a ton of money. He had the most Manziel stuff at the time and it when he leaked it, the stuff started selling like hot cakes.
It's all about the money for these guys; damn the consequences and the repercussions. What a shame.


[SBNation, LBS]




Share on Fancred

No comments:

Post a Comment