Sunday, May 11, 2014

Miami Safety Don Jones Apologizes for Anti-Michael Sam Tweets; Punished by Dolphins

Every has their own opinions and are entitled to them, but you would think that with all the attention that has been given to Michael Sam--the first openly gay player attempting to enter the NFL--that guys would know better than to say anything negative.

No matter what it would not end well for them--just ask Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones.

 
Shortly after Sam was drafted Saturday and ESPN showed him kissing his boyfriend in his living room Jones tweeted 'OMG' and 'Horrible.' It was definitely not a smart thing to do. Plenty of people told him as much on Twitter over the remainder of the weekend.

As could be expected the team has decided to punish him for it.

Jones was fined and undisclosed amount and will be excused from team activities (a nice way of saying suspended) until he undergoes what has been called 'educational training.' Why they didn't call it sensitivity training is a mystery, but that is likely what they mean by that.

The former seventh round pick has also released an apology:

“I want to apologize to Michael Sam for the inappropriate comments that I made last night on social media," Jones said. "I take full responsibility for them and I regret that these tweets took away from his draft moment. I remember last year when I was drafted in the seventh round and all of the emotions and happiness I felt when I received the call that gave me an opportunity to play for an NFL team and I wish him all the best in his NFL career.

You would think someone who was also a late round pick would be more understanding, but clearly Jones wasn't. He is also young and part of living is learning from one's mistakes.

Hopefully he'll do that and get back to the game sooner rather than later.


Share on Fancred

No comments:

Post a Comment