Thursday, April 9, 2015

Pittsburgh Steelers Great Troy Polamalu Retires After 12 Years

The news does not come as a surprise. In fact, we have been expecting it for some time. When the team said it did not want him back and was hoping he would just retire that was a definite sign. Of course he could do like a lot of guys and finish up playing for another team. As it turns out the decisive factor was not that, but his own indecision.

When Troy Polamalu realized that he had to think about whether he wanted to play it was time; time to retire.

@SteelersDepot
The announcement came in Thursday's Herald Standard. Polamalu said he called Dan Rooney Wednesday night to let him know he was going to retire.
"It's all about family," said Polamalu in a phone interview. "I live here in Pittsburgh now, and since the end of the season I've had a chance to enjoy my family on a level I never had before. It was awesome."
His desire to continue to spend more time with his family along with his indecision led to the decision to hang up the cleats:
"...when I started this process and started to debate whether I should come back or should I play, that was kind of the sign for me to say 'Whoa, if you're just even debating it maybe you shouldn't play anymore,' because what I do know about this game is it takes a lot –a lot – of commitment just to be an average player."
Injuries and time had caused him to lose a step in recent years, but when he was on the field he was one of the most feared hitters in the game. Over the last couple of seasons he made the jump over the offensive line the hip thing to do (even though it was rarely effective; it was still awesome).

@SBNationGIF
@SBNationGIF
Best of luck to you Troy and thanks for playing.


Share on Fancred

No comments:

Post a Comment