Sunday, April 19, 2015

San Diego Chargers TE Antonio Gates Does Not Want to Play Less

Last week some comments made the rounds online about how San Diego Chargers tight end Antonio Gates did not want to play as much next season as he did during the last. The Chargers did try to monitor his playing time, but with injuries to other guys that was easier said than done. According to Pro Football Focus he played in 72.3 percent of the Chargers offensive plays last season.

At his age that can be a bit much.

via Reddit
So Gates expressed a desire to be more of a third down, red zone guy and the internet went nuts. The general perception was that since he wants to play less he might as well retire because whenever you want to play less your heart must not be in it. If your heart isn't in it you are not going to play as well. he already doesn't do any off-season work.

Gates is no saying it was all a misunderstanding.
"For me, to put in all this work in all these years and have the opportunity to play and say I don't want to play, I don't know where people got that from. It was probably a misquote or a misunderstanding. ... I ain't asking to play less. Every time I'm in a game, I feel like I have the opportunity to make a play. Why would I want to be on the sideline? That defeats the purpose. The only way you can contribute is by being in the game."
This is what he said according to SI's MMQB:
"With injuries and whatnot, I played a little bit more than they expected me to play last season. I was playing the whole game. How I feel next year, it depends on how much volume they have me doing. I'd like to come in on third-and-7s, red zones, those situations. That's what my contribution is at anyway."

It's good to know he still wants to be the man (but I'd still hold off on drafting him fantasy guys), but the last couple sentences there sure sound like he is wanting to play less to me.

[UTSanDiego]



Share on Fancred

No comments:

Post a Comment